It's a bold statement to say my apple cake is better your momma's. But, it's true. Sorry, Doris. This bit of baking is silly easy, top-notch, and perfect with a cup of tea or apple brandy.
As well as having a little trick to make this cake extra apple-ey, we also add a bit of spice. If variety is the spice of life then surely a spiced apple dessert like this would make you and your tastebuds happy too.
This recipe might look very similar to my famous carrot cake recipe and that's because they are almost identical. Few tweaks here & there and this one is obviously made with fresh apples and the almonds steps in for walnuts.
That's a big win for your dessert recipe collection by the way. One base recipe two cakes. BAM! Result!
The beauty of this type of cake baking is that you can apply your imagination to a standard recipe in many ways.
In this spiced apple cake recipe, the apples are grated and evenly distributed throughout the cake.
Instead of using the technique used in making French apple cake or Russian sharlotka which both yield slightly different cakes.
What we end up with is a fluffy, light texture, full of apple flavour and hints of warming cinnamon, nutmeg, and the gentle crunch of flaked almonds.
Heaven is just one slice of cake away.
Read on and I will give you some great ideas along the road on how to make this into a layer cake, simple afternoon tea cake with apple drizzle or even spiced apple cupcakes.
If you put your hand over the screen. These all fit into one hand.
One of the secrets to making a moist apple cake is to use apple sauce in the recipe as well as making a lovely light syrup from the excess juice of the apples.
- Apples - The best apples for apple cake are the ones you love most. I used Golden Delicious but you can use any type of apple for this recipe because we grate the apples and the texture is not that important. You can also use a mix of apples like Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp.
- Sugar - Brown sugar is best for the batter and then you can use powdered or confectioners sugar to dust on top if you like.
- Flour - Just plain white flour.
- Eggs - Large organic whole chicken eggs.
- Raising agents - We use a combination of baking powder and baking soda.
- Fats - Neutral oil in the cake batter and then butter to rub the cake pan with.
- Nuts - Untoasted Flaked almonds.
- Spice - Cinnamon and nutmeg. You can use good quality ground or grind your own from whole spices.
- Extras - Apple sauce. You can use homemade apple sauce, store-bought or even replace with sour cream or yoghurt.
How to make it
- Wash 2 apples and grate them skin-on into a bowl. You should have 400g(3 cups) grated apple from two apples. Lightly squeeze out some of the juice so that the apples are not sitting in their own juice. Reserve the juice as we will make a syrup with it. You should be left with 300g (2 ½ cups) of grated apple plus the juice.
- Place 100g(½ cup) of juice along with 25g(2 tbsp) brown sugar and the juice of ½ a lime into a small saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil it.
- Turn the oven to 170C(340F). Butter a 9-inch springform pan and also cut a circle of baking paper to put on the bottom. Then butter the paper too. Trust me and just do it.
- Prepare two large mixing bowls. One for the dry ingredients and one for the wet ingredients. Sieve 250g(2 cups) flour, 12g(3 tsp) baking powder, 4g(1tsp) baking soda, 2g(1 tsp) cinnamon, 2g(1 tsp) powdered nutmeg, and 2g(½ tsp) fine salt together into one bowl.
- Add 100g(1 cup) flaked almonds to the sifted mix. Give it a good whisk so that everything is evenly distributed.
- Mix together 120g(½ cup) oil, 200g(4 large eggs) eggs, 200g(1 cup) brown sugar, 100g(½ cup) apple sauce, and 300g(2 ½ cups) grated apples together in the other bowl. Mix well so that it's homogenous and even.
- Fold the flour mix into the wet mix little by little.
- Mix it gently until you have a uniform even cake batter.
- Pour the mix into the buttered springform cake pan.
- Place into the oven and cook until a thermometer placed into the centre reads 90C(194F). This can take anything from 40 minutes to an hour depending on your oven, so keep an eye on it and don't just let it be. Otherwise, tears might follow. When done, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack, still in the cake form. Stab some holes all over the top with a wooden skewer.
- Warm up the syrup and drizzle all over the cake making sure you get it evenly spread out.
- Let the cake cool down completely before removing, placing on a flat plate or cake stand and then, finally and optionally, dusting with icing sugar.
All that seems like a lot but I assure you it is a piece of cake making this.
This apple cake recipe is extremely versatile and you can use it in different ways for various occasions and change things up to your liking.
For personal advice
Follow me on Instagram
I help many people with a wide variety of questions about food and other cooking-related issues. Simply send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
This way you will become a better and more confident cook.
You might want to make this cake with larger apple pieces or layer it and add some filling. Here's how to do all that:
- Layered apple cake - Cut the cake in half horizontally and level the top too. Make a simple cream cheese frosting
- French apple cake or Sharlotka - Cut the apple into large pieces but sliced 3mm thick. You will have juice some apples or use store bought natural apple juice to make the syrup as you won't have juice coming from sliced apples.
- Different nuts - Replace the almonds with chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans.
- Apple cake with apple and lime drizzle - Mix together 100g of powdered sugar with a teaspoon of apple juice and lime juice each. Whisk and adjust the consistency to your liking. for a runnier drizzle add a few more drops lime juice or for a thicker drizzle add more powdered sugar.
- Spiced Apple cupcakes - Use the exact recipe here and just bake in cupcake forms. Make a classic cupcake frosting. For a little welcome surprise. When the cupcakes have cooled scoop out some of the centre carefully with an apple corer or spoon. Add in apple sauce and close up with some cupcake crumb followed by frosting and sprinkling some crumb on the frosting for decoration
How to make it Vegan
Replace the egg with 30g linseeds(flaxseed flour) soaked in 60g water for 30 minutes.
Add 150g coconut milk
Use oil instead of butter.
Make it gluten-free
By replacing the following:
Regular flour for almond flour or any other nut flour.
Gluten-free baking powder for regular baking powder
Other recipes you might like
If you like baking cakes and making bread you will love the following recipes:
- Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- Cherry and almond tart
- Russian honey cake
- Borodinsky dark rye bread
- Wholewheat flax sourdough bread
- Parmesan biscuits
Useful equipment for this recipe
Mixing bowl - Buy Now
Kitchen aid mixer - Makes baking a breeze - Buy Now
THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS - I MIGHT EARN A TINY % OF THE SALE THROUGH THESE LINKS AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. PROBABLY NOT EVEN ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER).
If you found this recipe helpful or have learned something, comment, subscribe and follow me on social platforms for more delicious recipes.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @PANTSDOWNAPRONSON on Instagram and hashtag it #PANTSDOWNAPRONSON