Baked eggs must be the easiest thing a person can cook from scratch. Crack on the heat, crack in the eggs, wait a minute and eat. I remember having more trouble tying my shoelaces than cooking baked eggs.
That said, I am a chef and not a master shoelace artist.
Whatever your profession though, I think we will all manage to tie this one together.
Whether you are a kid, mom, dad, bachelor/bachelorette, student or anything else I haven't come across yet, this dish will find a perfect place in your kitchen and a cosy spot in a hungry tummy.
Why breakfast is important
Otherwise, you'll get hungry and overstuff your face.
Then you go through energy swings, get grumpy and end up being a tosser all day.
So eat your breakfast to avoid all those nasties.
Baked eggs are obviously great for breakfast but, they are also an awesome post-workout meal or just a light healthy snack.
We as chefs rarely start our days without breakfast and coffee.
No matter what the liars out there will tell you.
Mostly the attention seekers will tell you they don't have time.
There's always time for breakfast.
Especially baked eggs with some tomatoes and smoked bacon thrown in to sexy it up. Easy, fast, delicious. YUMMY-YUMMY-GET-IN-MY-TUMMY!!!
- Eggs - Free range organic is obviously what most people will tell you. Buy the best you can afford. Don't get pressured into undermining yourself to a chicken.
- Bacon - I love using uncured unsmoked bacon. It's basically just thinly sliced pork belly. If you can find it great. If not, it's good to use something not over-cured and nasty. Read the label and pick bacon with the least not-understandable ingredients.
- Tomatoes - If you are lucky enough to have ever tasted tomatoes from Uzbekistan. Then you will be very picky. My suggestion is going for good plum shaped cherry tomatoes. They are the only other close sweet alternative I have tasted in my life. And, I tasted loads of tomatoes. All that heirloom funny coloured tomatoes are all tasteless, watery, over-priced crap. Don't waste your money and spoil your mood.
- Butter - 82% fat content real butter.
- Herbs - I used dill but you can use chopped parsley, coriander(cilantro) or basil.
- Seasoning - Good old sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- extras(optional) - Toasted sourdough bread - Perfect for mopping up every juicy bite.
The process is simple.
Firstly, we heat up the pan with some butter or oil.
Chop up our tomatoes and bacon and give them a quick fry in the pan. Wait for the tomatoes to release their juice a bit and reduce.
When things look great we will crack in our eggs, season with salt, pepper and cover the pan with a lid.
When the eggs are cooked to your liking slide them out onto a plate and sprinkle with your favourite herbs.
Serve with some toasted sourdough or Russian Borodinsky dark rye bread.
Make these baked eggs into a shakshuka which is pretty much, baked eggs in a rich tomato sauce.
How to make shakshuka
- Chop one onion finely an fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer until they release their juice.
- Season the resulting stew with salt, pepper and sugar if needed. You could also add a pinch of ground cumin.
- Make a few holes into sauce and crack in the eggs.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium-low heat until the eggs whites are just set and the yolks are still runny.
- Sprinkle with herbs of choice and toasted bread.
Other recipes you might like
- Warm uncured bacon salad - If you like bacon you will love this.
- Soft boiled quail eggs - How to properly cook quail eggs.
- Thai style omelette - Another golden breakfast recipe.
- Ricotta breakfast fritters - Breakfast dish you can freeze and take to work.
- Sourdough crêpes - Using your sourdough starter discard to good use.
- Simple cured salmon salad - Keto and paleo-friendly dish.
- Home-cured salmon gravlax
Useful equipment for this recipe
Cast iron skillet - Buy Now
Pepper grinder - Buy Now
Japanese knife - Buy Now
THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS - I MIGHT EARN A TINY % OF THE SALE THROUGH THESE LINKS AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. PROBABLY NOT EVEN ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER).
IF YOU FOUND THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL OR HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL PLATFORMS FOR MORE TASTY RECIPES
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @PANTSDWONAPRONSON on Instagram and hashtag it #PANTSDOWNAPRONSON