Baked eggs must be the easiest thing a person can cook from scratch. Crack on the heat, crack in the eggs, wait a minute and eat. I remember having more trouble tying my shoelaces than cooking baked eggs.
Whether you are a kid, mom, dad, bachelor/bachelorette, student or anything else I haven't come across yet, this dish will find a perfect place in your kitchen and a cosy spot in a hungry tummy.
- Eggs - Free range organic is obviously what most people will tell you. Buy the best you can afford. Don't get pressured into undermining yourself to a chicken.
- Bacon - I love using uncured unsmoked bacon. It's basically just thinly sliced pork belly. If you can find it great. If not, it's good to use something not over-cured and nasty. Read the label and pick bacon with the least not-understandable ingredients.
- Tomatoes - If you are lucky enough to have ever tasted tomatoes from Uzbekistan. Then you will be very picky. My suggestion is going for good plum shaped cherry tomatoes. They are the only other close sweet alternative I have tasted in my life. And, I tasted loads of tomatoes. All that heirloom funny coloured tomatoes are all tasteless, watery, over-priced crap. Don't waste your money and spoil your mood.
- Butter - 82% fat content real butter.
- Herbs - I used dill but you can use chopped parsley, coriander(cilantro) or basil.
- Seasoning - Good old sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- extras(optional) - Toasted sourdough bread - Perfect for mopping up every juicy bite.
The process is simple.
Firstly, we heat up the pan with some butter or oil.
Chop up our tomatoes and bacon and give them a quick fry in the pan. Wait for the tomatoes to release their juice a bit and reduce.
When things look great we will crack in our eggs, season with salt, pepper and cover the pan with a lid.
When the eggs are cooked to your liking slide them out onto a plate and sprinkle with your favourite herbs.
Other recipes you might like
Useful equipment for this recipe
Wooden Chopping Board
Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife
Salt & Pepper Grinders
THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS - I MIGHT EARN A TINY % OF THE SALE THROUGH THESE LINKS AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. PROBABLY NOT EVEN ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER).
IF YOU FOUND THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL OR HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL PLATFORMS FOR MORE TASTY RECIPES
Baked Eggs With Tomato And Bacon
- 6 eggs
- 1 large tomato cut into 10 to 14 cubes
- 6 strips streaky bacon chopped
- 20 g (1.5 tbsp) butter
- 4 g (1 tsp) chopped dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, we heat up the pan with some butter
- Chop up our tomatoes and bacon and give them a quick fry in the pan
- Wait for the tomatoes to release their juice and boil away
- When things look great we will crack in our eggs, season with salt, pepper
- Cover the pan with a lid for about two minutes
- When the eggs are cooked to your liking slide them out onto a plate and sprinkle with chopped dill.
- Make this recipe vegetarian by removing the bacon.
- Add Italian sausage or roasted flaked chicken instead of bacon.