This roasted carrot salad recipe brings together 4 basic recipes into one delicious dish you can serve as a side or have by itself. Honey roasted carrots are mixed with baked ricotta, Egyptian dukkah and dressed with a delicious honey lemon vinaigrette and plenty of freshly chopped cilantro.
- Carrots - Use small to medium-sized good quality carrots. If you use baby carrots do not peel them. simply leave them whole. Fo large carrots peel and cut into even-sized pieces for roasting.
- Ricotta- Use good quality natural ricotta.
- Dukkah(optional) - This is my recipe for dukkah. You could also buy some good quality pre-made dukkah.
- Honey(optional) - Use runny natural honey for roasting the carrots as well as making the honey lemon vinaigrette.
- Lemon - Not in the picture but you need it for making the vinaigrette. Use unwaxed lemons.
- Oil - Olive oil and canola oil for the dressing and or roasting the carrots and ricotta
- Herbs - Thyme for the roasted carrots and fresh cilantro for adding freshness last minute.
Useful equipment for this recipe
Wooden Chopping Board
Electronic Kitchen Scales
Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife
Ceramic Baking Dishes
How to make it
- Turn the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare one dish for roasting the carrots and another for the baked ricotta. If you are making your own dukkah then also prepare a baking sheet for roasting the nuts.
Full recipe for dukkah →
For the roasted carrots
- Mix the ingredients for the roasted carrots together, place into a baking dish a close with a lid or foil.
- Roast them for 30 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelised. Remove from the oven and set aside until needed.
Full recipe for roasted carrots →
For the baked ricotta
- Spread the ricotta onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Season with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
Full recipe for baked ricotta →
For the honey lemon dressing
- Place the ingredients together in a bowl or jar with a lid.
- Vigorously shake or whisk until emulsified.
Full recipe for honey lemon dressing →
Putting together the salad
- Place the carrots into a mixing bowl.
- Break up the baked ricotta and add the dukkah.
- Chop cilantro finely and add to the above.
- Finally, add the honey lemon dressing and give it a good mix.
- Taste for balance. If it needs a bit more salt, lemon or honey then add some until you are happy with the taste.
For personal advice
Follow me on Instagram
I help many people with a wide variety of questions about food and other cooking-related issues. Simply send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
This way you will become a better and more confident cook.
This roasted carrot salad easily be modified in many ways to suit your taste and needs.
- Cheese - Change the ricotta for feta, blue cheese or parmesan.
- Herbs - Use fresh basil, chives, chervil, parsley or mint instead of cilantro. Mint and basil is a really special combination also found in this Italian salsa verde recipe.
- Nuts - Instead of using dukkah use roasted walnuts, hazelnuts or pine nuts. alternatively use a Middle Eastern spice blend called Za'atar.
- Green leaves - Add gem hearts, baby spinach, rocket or corn salad.
- Dressing - Change the dressing to a creamy Caesar dressing or simply drizzle with homemade balsamic glaze.
- Protein - Add barbecued pork belly or warm roasted leg of lamb.
- Vegan - Replace the honey in the roasted carrots and dressing with maple syrup or agave nectar. Substitute the ricotta for vegan cheese.
As a side dish with the following.
- Pan seared salmon fillet
- Bavette steak
- Chimichurri steak
- Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin
- Oven baked chicken breast
Along side the following appetisers.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, roasted carrot salad will keep for days so you can make it as part of your weekly meal prep or simply ahead of time when having guests over or taking to someone's home.
Once cooled you should seal it in an airtight container and store in the fridge.
It will happily keep fresh in the fridge stored airtight for up to 4 days. When you are ready to serve simply give it a stir to or even heat it up slightly in the microwave for a minute or so.
Other recipes you might like
If you are looking for a tasty salad or side dish recipe then you will find the following recipes useful.
- Sweet miso baked eggplant
- Beetroot and feta salad
- Authentic Greek salad
- Classic Caesar salad
- Coleslaw and tahini dressing
- Creamed spinach
- Mashed potatoes
THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS - I MIGHT EARN A TINY % OF THE SALE THROUGH THESE LINKS AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. PROBABLY NOT EVEN ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER).
If you found this recipe helpful or have learned something, comment, subscribe and follow me on social platforms for more delicious recipes.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @PANTSDOWNAPRONSON on Instagram and hashtag it #PANTSDOWNAPRONSON